EURO 2020 Fanzones set for Dublin's fair city

Tue, Oct 02 2018

Euro 2020 Credit: Macdara Ferris

Fanzones

With Dublin hosting part of UEFA EURO 2020, plans are being put in place to set up fanzones in the city during the tournament. The Aviva Stadium will host four matches during the European Championship - three group matches and a last 16 game.

Dublin City Council is currently tendering for an event management team to organise the fanzone facilities for football fans during the tournament. This will include public viewing areas and a Football Festival Village. 

The estimated value of the tender is €2.9m (ex-VAT) to be spent across 19 months. It is expected that 80% of that value will be for the fanzones with the remaining 20% split between the ‘Host City Dressing Programme’ of flags and banners around the city and for scheduled pre-tournament events.

In 2006, FIFA instigated the official Fan Fest at the World Cup in Germany. 3.5 million litres of beer and 3.5 million bratwursts were consumed by 18 million visitors to the fan zones according to FIFA! The Fan Mile in Berlin had over half a million people watching the games live on the screens adjacent to the Brandenburg gate but it certainly won’t be as big in Dublin.

The Football Festival Village will show all the matches during the tournament in front of up to 5,000 people while the 10,000 capacity public viewing areas will show the games hosted in Dublin, and likely the tournament final which is set for Wembley Stadium on 12 July. 

The three groups games will take place in Dublin on Monday 15 June, Friday 19 June 2020 and Wednesday 24 June, with the last 16 match taking place on Tuesday 30 June 2020.

Should the Republic of Ireland qualify, two of our group games will be in Dublin, while the other is set for Bilbao.

 

Qualifying Draw in Dublin

Dublin is also hosting the Euro 2020 Qualifying Draw on Sunday 2nd December 2018.

The FAI are seeking volunteers to help across a variety of areas to help with accreditation, hospitality, ICT, and media operations, as well as seeking drivers.

The draw will take place in Convention Centre Dublin. It is expected the draw will have:

•          650 guests, including almost 300 delegates from the participating countries

•          350 media representatives accredited to cover the event

•          70+ broadcasters showing the draw live to an audience of 140m around the world

Those interested in volunteering can register their interest, here http://www.fai.ie/domestic/volunteers 

 

Finals Tickets

Fans can already register their interest in EURO 2020 tournament tickets on UEFA’s dedicated ticket portal.

The portal can be accessed here: https://euro2020.tickets.uefa.com/account

Fans can specify which venues they would like to visit, which team they are supporting and which teams' matches they would be interested in watching live.